Saturday, January 12, 2008

Great leader, dear friend and mentor

I am so grieved by this sudden loss of Marc. Reading this blog has been so helpful in allowing me to process my grief at this inexplicable loss – thank you, Dave, for setting it up and thank you all for writing. I find myself in tears, yet laughing sometimes, as I read (and re-read) your stories and photos.

Jeff and I first met Marc and Amy 6 years ago at a dinner we were invited to at the Vineyard Christian Fellowship. We were new to the bay area and trying to find a church community to plug into. Even though it was our first meeting, I felt an instant and genuine connection with this wonderful couple - so different, yet so perfect together: Marc with his very slow manner of speaking, funny sense of humor and laid-back manner, and Amy with who spoke so fast I couldn't keep up, and who laughed so loudly it was contagious.


Jeff and I had the privilege of being mentored by Marc when he invited us to host/start a kinship that became the Rock Kinship which has been such a blessing to our lives. He taught me that in Christian ministry, what counts is to be 'FAT' – faithful, available and teachable. He had a vision to see true Christian community being built up through small groups. Even though we weren't in the same small group anymore, his last email to me was still checking in to see how I was doing. He not only dreamed dreams and had visions but he took practical steps to make that vision a reality. The number of small groups he started, and the lives blessed through that will be Marc's lasting legacy for generations to come.


I will miss the dinners with Marc and Amy. Our last dinner conversation lingered until nearly mid-night - they were so loving, so non-judgmental, so open with their own lives, it was so uplifting. Our next dinner date was way overdue. At Esther and Timothy's wedding in December, we spoke about catching up as we hadn't seen them for a while. Jeff and I were saving this bottle of wine they had gifted us previously, so we could share it with them. I regret we didn't get down to making it happen sooner.


Marc lived life fully, loved people deeply and pursued God passionately everyday of his life.

I will miss this dear brother and mentor dearly.


Wendy Lim (Lui)


"Weeping may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

No comments: