Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Ultimate mARC!

I thought people might appreciate some shots of mARC in action on the Ultimate field, since he loved it so much. For some reason the main thing I’m missing him in this week is thinking about not being able to run around with him on a glorious Saturday morning on green green grass under the most amazing blue sky you could want. The kind of morning where you just drink it in, feel your cleats sink into the turf, and then watch mARC do one of his goofy extra-special-turning-pull-thing-a-ma-jigs (if you’ve ever played with him, you know what I’m talking about) and yell out “ULTIMAAAAAAATE”-- and the game is ON!

Ahhhhhh…now that’s glory!

I loved his style of play, too. It was just like him, quirky, but awesome. Those of us with limited stamina generally try to run in diagonal lines for short bursts, in the hopes we might get open. Then we gasp for air and hope not to fall over before we have to do it again. Not mARC. He would run these crazy circles, all at ¾ speed, like he was saying “I’m not tired and I’m not really even running yet, but I’m still faster than you. And in better shape, too.” He was too nice to actually say that, but sometimes you had to wonder. People who have played with him have noticed that when he gets ticked off on the field, he goes to another level. I tried to be on his team, or I tried not to make him mad…

One time we organized a friendly ultimate tournament, and mARC even designed the registration website (yeah, our “informal” friendly tournament with its own website, uh huh…) I tried to track it down to post a screenshot of it, but couldn’t find one…

So all I can say is I hope that they have Ultimate (or something Ultimate-like, only better) in heaven. I can’t wait for mARC to put me through a clinic, and perhaps there I’ll have the capability to keep up with him…

…but I doubt it.

Matthew Stringer


No comments: