Saturday, January 12, 2008

Going Home

July 22, 2005, Terminal 1 at Chicago Ohare Airport: I was trying to catch a flight back to the Bay Area after being in Illinois on a business trip. Bad weather had fouled air travel for over half the country and the airport was a mass of grumpy, frustrated people. My wife and I had managed to claim a little space in one of the waiting areas. While Rochelle went up to the counter to check on our flight, I busied myself with a book and simultaneously tried to hold claim of our precious little piece of air terminal real estate. A few moments later I looked up and with great surprise saw Amy walking towards me followed by Marc! Marc had had a business trip out east and was connecting thru Chicago heading home. Out of a zillion strangers it was nice to unexpectedly see some friendly faces -- especially when you're both 2100 miles from home. We sat and visited for a while: laughing about bumping into each other, commiserating about the joys of air travel and wondering if we'd ever get home before Christmas. In those few moments, the airport slowed down and I'd like to think that part of that was due to Marc's calm, quiet demeanor. Eventually we all did make it home that day. I still can hear the airline ticket agent calling out "United Airlines is paging passenger 'Breer-Lee' " over the PA system...

Oh man, I will miss you and I regret that we didn't talk or pray together nearly enough; the times we did, I would come away with a new perspective or just assured by your calming presence. You leave a huge gap bro, the loss is incalculable, the sadness profound. But I am comforted knowing that you are Rejoycing with Him.

You've made it all the way home now, Marc.

John Dusatko

No comments: