Marc was my InterVarsity staff worker. For a while, he was painting these "eye" cards for people. Here's one of his pieces. The second photo is of Marc and me at the top of Half Dome having a conflict resolution (!) We had just lead our frosh small group up the mountain. And the stressful trip caused a few fights. He was quick to "clear accounts". I appreciate that he was committed to his friendships, and didn't put off having a hard conversation even though we were in the middle of a hike, etc. Marc was sort of intense that way. (Sorry for the quality of the photos.)
I am forever grateful to Marc. At the end of a rough year, I was a burn-out ministry leader. And instead of letting me hang out to dry, he invited me to partner with him and lead a small group. That year was a turn-around year for me. Marc challenged me, invited me into his life, and taught me a lot. But mostly, he brought me back from the brink. It's no exaggeration to say if he hadn't stepped in 12 years ago, I would probably not be in ministry today (7 years with InterVarsity). I'm grateful for him--in all his quirky, funny, and slightly odd ways.
Nikki Toyama-Szeto
Monday, January 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment