


1st pic (Loris3): Marc, Brian, and I in Maui (July 1996)
2nd pic (Loris1): Marc enjoying a beer on the beach in Cabo San Lucas
3rd pic (Loris2): Brian and Marc at the Kwok's wedding (Aug 2002)
I first met Marc through InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at Stanford in the early '90s. I got to know Marc better during those years, just from hanging around the same group of people and being involved in the ministry. My husband Brian mentioned in his post that Marc, Brian, Michelle (then Atkins), and I went on a trip to Maui together back in 1996. Brian and I were dating at the time, and thanks to Marc, who was a man of integrity, the men shared a room and the women shared a room. That was the trip during which Brian and I got engaged, and Marc was there with us. It was really special being able to celebrate in the exciting news together immediately. The following year, Marc was the Best Man in our wedding. I was honored to have Marc stand with us as we made our wedding vows. Unlike Marc, I'm not exactly the adventurous sort and it was scary standing up there at the front of a church taking on a huge life change. I'm grateful that Marc stood right next to Brian the whole time, making tangible the reality that we were not doing this alone. Marc was also our trusted ring bearer, a big responsibility given my history with rings (I lost my engagement ring a week after getting engaged.) And later, Marc gave a roast (toast) at the reception. He was actually very kind to me during that "roast" and said that he appreciated the way I could influence people towards something they didn't want to do, while still treating them with respect and kindness. I hope to live up to those words one day.
As many people have already shared, Marc was definitely someone who enjoyed the great outdoors, in its many facets. One of the things he shared in common with Brian was a great love for relaxing beach vacations. One of my favorite stories was of Brian and Marc taking a trip together to Cabo San Lucas one summer and sharing a 'romantic' candlelight dinner on the beach with little waves lapping at their feet. I love how little Marc cared about how things looked.
In the past 5 years or so, it's mainly Brian who has kept up with Marc, and I'm really glad they did. Although life got busier, and we had different church communities, it was so good to see these two men of God remain so committed to their friendship and to following Jesus.
There are so many memories that keep popping up (borrowing camping gear, eating meals, helping with moves, and on and on). I smile and cry as I remember mARC. Marc touched so many people's lives and his life has been imprinted on every one of them.
To Marc - Thank you for sharing your life with us. I am challenged to live my life on earth as well as you did. You will be dearly missed, and I look forward to seeing you again.
Loris Lu Perronne
No comments:
Post a Comment