We had a common faith, of course, but we shared a subordinate faith as well: as we heard at the memorial, Marc's second place of worship was REI. Now, before I was on the pastoral staff at the Vineyard, I was on "pastoral staff" at REI, because I worked there when I met him. I thought about calling Marc on the Friday the new REI opened in Mountain View and telling him to blow off work and come stand in line with me to get swag, but thought better of it. When I got to the store, Marc was at the front of the line. Gear. Love it.
I remember when his appendix blew a couple years ago and he needed surgery, I visited the hospital. He had just had a tube taken out of his throat, was weak and beat up. He could barely talk ... his life had been in serious danger. I biked to the hospital to pray, you know, cause this was serious ... but when I came in the room, he looked over at me and my kit, and said, "Hey, is that a new bag?" Now that's perspective.
Dave Maddalena
No comments:
Post a Comment