Marc gave my husband and I a red plate for a wedding present that says “You are special today” (anyone else get one?). We have enjoyed that plate for many years now and it reminds us of Marc’s friendship and Marc’s value for friendship. When a new or old friend comes for dinner, they get the “special plate.” When a child has a birthday, they get the special plate. The special plate also comes with many “I’m sorry will you please forgive me” meals. We’ve loved it so much, we often gave one as a wedding present to other friends.
One of my favorite memories with the plate is when Marc and Amy took the time to visit us while they were in Seattle, shortly before their wedding. Amy ate on the plate and signed it underneath. For years I tried to wash around the signature to preserve it, but alas, it is now gone. I hope you come to visit Amy so you can sign it again!
I have had many random memories of Marc floating around my head this week. Through the sadness, I find myself smiling in remembering. Being silly at make your own breakfasts in Wilbur dining hall, skiing in Tahoe, worshiping at retreats, pictures of eyes, Marc making sure I worked out my conflicts, trying to imagine how God would use us after college, picking up Marc from his grandmother’s in Mt. Vernon and him cramped in the jumpseat of our truck all the way to the airport, many group road trips, camping in BC. I sure wish I had a picture of Annoying Pat. And boy do I remember the smile on his face when he introduced my husband and I to Amy. I remember him saying that he thought he was even talking faster because of her.
Lord, help us to hold on to your promise that you work out all things for the good of those who love you. Romans 8:22-28 reminds us that this world is not as it is supposed to be, but we do have hope through you. This time, it is so hard to see, but seeing your faithfulness through Marc helps us to hold on to that hope.
Koe (Knudsen) Pahlka
1 comment:
My husband and I got one too :) I was just remembering it the other day. I'm excited to create memories with that plate.
Post a Comment