Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What a guy

What a guy! I'm sad to loose such a great friend. When Wendy and I first hooked up with Marc (and Amy) in the Vineyard after moving to California from Chicago, we liked them immediately. He was unassuming, down to earth, yet a man of vision, never settling for the mediocre, always believed God has greater plans in store for him, for others and for the church, constantly desiring to do better, yet at the same time sensitive enough to provide others time and space. Wendy and I had the chance to start a small group with Marc, right where we lived in Rock Street, and over the next few years understood why other people acknowledged and loved him as a leader. He loves Jesus, and has such a big heart for people. It's my greatest pleasure to experience that with him, and have him as a mentor. I have learnt so much from him, and I can't remember anybody else in recent years that have such an impact in my Christian walk.
Here are other things I remember (and love) about this great guy:
- He loves outdoor activities. Marc, please stop trying to convince us Ultimate Frisbee and camping trips are good for us!
- As far as I'm concerned, Marc's a "banana" -- yellow on the outside, white inside. When we first met, and he told me stories about his trip to Malaysia, I laughed hard and knew I can get along with this chap. Wend and I used to joke with him he's half Asian. He has such an international outlook, it's really refreshing. Or maybe he just has a big heart for all sorts of people.
- Marc speaks rather slowly (I swear sometimes on purpose!). I often want to hurry him along. Sometimes I am even tempted to complete his sentence for him!
- Marc loves God and loves people. 'nuff said.
- Marc h
as a great, and quirky, sense of humor. In the beginning, I actually thought he's a bit loony -- till I got to know him better.
- Great meals: thanks for all the great meals you and Amy had with us. I think we acquire our liking for sausages through you! Just at Esther's wedding a few weeks ago, while you were moving the long benches with Jim at cleanup, we caught up and said we'll have dinner sometime. Guess we'll now have to meet in a different place at a different time.
- an all consummate geekhead...stop espousing the virtues of Mac to me!
- I love praying with him. He's open, transparent and accessible. And he's always excited to see God work.
- ...I can go on and on...
Marc, my only regret is that you aren't able to hear these words from me personally. Or perhaps you can. May you rest in peace...as you often like to sign off your emails with. You are in a great place now. We'll hook up again one day, and you can further explain to me what Christian Hedonism means, and we'll continue the debate why Mac is (not) superior to Windows.

Peace,
Jeffrey Lui

No comments: