I worked with mARC at Stanford. I have many memories of him….
How can you know a person? These little moments light up little corners of someone’s life….
Bit and pieces….
He had a gentle… monotone… way… of… speaking….
He had an odd subtle sense of humor that his unusual tone brought our perfectly…
I remember teasing him about his very even monotone delivery when he was speaking in public…
… and the possibility that it might cause the audience to fall asleep….
I remember traveling with mARC…
… many Sakai Project conferences….
… I remember eating lunch with his wife…
I remember a glorious night…
…weaving through
… in search of beignets and coffee…
…I remember meeting his dog….
… I remember setting my spell checker to accept mARC’s quirky signature line….
…I remember working with mARC in
…We were very jet lagged……
… building our software demonstration on his laptop in the middle of the night…
Our group often ate together… we little thought of how precious these little unimportant moments are….
How could we have known?
Goodbye mARC, it was a far too brief honor knowing you….
Ed Smiley
No comments:
Post a Comment