Thursday, January 10, 2008

I will always remember Marc...

I've known Marc for almost 4 years, since I first started working at Stanford in 2004. His cubicle is not far from mine and I can still see all his belongings there...

Marc was a wonderful colleague and a great friend. I have many great memories of him at work. He was the UI designer and I was the developer; we often discussed and sometimes 'argued' about features for the applications we worked on together. He was very passionate about user centered design and usability. We attended many Sakai conferences together, and did demos together in every one of them. We always reminded each other not to forget to bring the demo materials. I remember his special coffee maker at work and he showed me why it made good coffee and made one cup for me to try. I remember always asking him to change the water cooler because it's too heavy for me. He's always glad and ready to help everyone.
I remember during a long ride up to UC Davis for a meeting we talked about our childhood and families. I got to know more about him. Like so many others have said about him, he was genuinely interested in getting to know people, and sharing his thoughts. He cared a lot for the environment, always recycled everything; and he loved the nature and outdoors. You can ask him anything about outdoor equipments, or hiking trails, and he would take the time to tell you what he knows.
The work place is different now without him......
I know he's in a better place now... I will miss him and will always remember him.
Lydia

No comments: