Monday, January 21, 2008

Marc, the most passionate but relaxed person I've ever known

I met Marc at Stanford. We were the same year and got to know each other at InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. One of the coolest things about following Jesus is that He gives us opportunities to become friends with people whom we normally would never have the chance to become friends with. Only Jesus could bring together a fast talking, fast walking type A New Yorker with a slow talking, slow walking mountain man from Reno. At first glance, there didn't look like there could be anything in common between the two of us. I liked everything fast and efficient. Marc liked to take things slow and deliberate. I grew up with terrible allergies and hated the outdoors. Marc was in his primal element when he was outdoors. But over the years as I got to know Marc better, I began to connect more and more with the things we had in common. We both were intensely competitive. We both had no problem telling people the truth (usually in love). We both wanted to take what Jesus said seriously. We both were only children of parents who loved us more than anything else in the world. The year after we graduated from Stanford, Marc and I became housemates along with Aaron Hopkins and Ben Chang at "Hanover House". We had good times, we shared deeply, resolved conflicts, played sports, and bonded. When I got married at the end of that year, I chose Marc, Aaron, and Ben to be among my groomsmen (see picture). Even though I hadn't known Marc and these other 2 men as long as some of my other friends, I deliberately chose them to be my groomsmen because I felt that they were the Godly men that I was in community with, that I had made vows of accountability and partnership with. I wanted to make a statement about what was important in my life and the community life I shared with them was something made possible only by Jesus. I am so glad to see that Marc has been a tireless champion of true community ever since - at Stanford, at Santa Clara, at the Vineyard. Wherever Marc went, he was never satisfied with relationships and community that didn't go deep and ring true to the calling of Jesus. I miss Marc because he was the only man I respected that talked as slooooow as he did, but matched and sometimes even exceeded my intensity and passion! I miss Marc because he taught me that it was fine to be intense and passionate, but sometimes, it's good to take life slow, a conversation slow, a God moment, slow. He taught me that there is a better alternative to rushing through life and relationships. As I remember Marc, I feel convicted to re-dedicate myself to go deeper with Godly men in accountable relationships. As I remember Marc, I also feel convicted to take things slower, to repent of my "hurry" sickness. As I remember Marc, I remember a man who lived with gusto and sucked the marrow out of life but did it at his pace, who loved the great outdoors and who loved Jesus above all. In so many ways, Marc lived a fuller life in his 36 years than most people ever will over 80 years. My hope and desire is that I will honor these things that Marc taught me by living a life of deep relational community, of truth and integrity, of taking the time to slow down and enjoy each breath that God gives me until the day when He calls me back to our home in heaven, where Marc awaits all of us who follow Jesus.

Tom Tsao

1 comment:

Mark Phifer-Houseman said...

Tom,

i was very encouraged to read your post. i haven't read the blog for a few days and so it was great to open it today and see your post. and, yes, let's get back on the accountability schedule with Phil.

Proud to be your Friend,

Mark