Friday, January 11, 2008

Larger Than Life

I met Marc my freshman year (he was a sophomore) of high school while on the Sparks High School Ski Team. The minute I met Marc, I knew I liked him. Marc had such an amazing quality about him in high school that many high school kids lacked...confidence. Marc was larger than life. He did not fashion the ever so popular "mullet" of the 80s, but spiked his hair instead. On the ski slopes he sported the flashiest sweater and pants (as you can see from the pictures) rather than opting for the more mellow colors of red, white and blue. I admired this so much about Marc. He did not care what others thought about him and embraced his uniqueness. I had the pleasure of being on the ski team with Marc for 3 magical seasons. I was even lucky to spend 10 days at Mount Hood Summer Ski Camps with him. Some of my favorite times in high school involved Marc. He could always cheer you up with a goofy look or silly, yet random comment. When Marc was a senior he was the Student Body President at SHS and again, I was lucky enough to spend some time with him at camp (this time Leadership Camp) at Galena Creek's Camp-We-Cha-Me. Marc brought so much life and enthusiasm back into student government and left very big shoes to fill. Though I have not seen or spoken to Marc since high school, he was not far from my thoughts. I recall our fun times while riding on the Zephyr chair on the "Slide Side" of Mt. Rose quite often. Marc was one of a kind and will be greatly missed. I was so lucky to have shared in his remarkable life.
Ski on, Marc!
Britta Sorensen Scheffer

No comments: